Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hey look. Another post.

So I thought I might grace you with another post (Haha the fact that I think anyone is reading this makes me giggle. Or chortle, like ho ho ho!). This post is about Hey Rosetta! and their concert.

First of all, Hey Rosetta! is awesome. If you are reading this after they are world reknown, you should agree. The only way I can describe them is that they are baroque pop, only replace the "pop" with "indie hippy triumph." With typical indie instruments like guitars and keyboard and drums, they also rely on a lot of cello, violin, and mandolin. The thought of them just makes me melt (figuratively). Hey Rosetta! generally has a beautiful sound overall, each song contrasting powerful rock with some more dramatic, slower segments. It's fun, elaborate, and in my opinion well deserved for me listing it as having the best album of 2008.

Now for their performance, that was a masterpiece. It was one of those shows that you walk away from thinking that any future shows will be spoiled by what you just saw. Having seen them before, I paid close attention to them to judge which performance was better. The latter wins, which in no small part is because of Dan Mangan's participation in a few of the songs (he is another story, hopefully you will hear about him soon). Even while I was fairly sober I got pulled into the show. All in all, I loved Hey Rosetta! and Dan Mangan.

There were some downsides to the concert as well. First of all, I wasn't feeling all that great, and that kinda made me surly. Then Collen Brown (is that right?) came on, and she just was too mellow for me. Not that she wasn't talented, which she definitely was, its just that I like to have some music that gets me pumped up for the headliner. That wasn't the biggest downer for me though, because the winner of that category was the crowd itself. That is exactly what it felt like, a bunch of random people in the same space. The overall interest wasn't really in Dan Mangan or Hey Rosetta!, the crowd seemed more focused on conversations than listening to the show. It felt like a bar with background music. Plus I of all people felt out of place at this total indie show. I mean, what attracted this crowd? The majority seemed to have just come to see a show at Starlite. If it wasn't for the show, I would have left.

All negative parts aside, I had a fairly fun evening. I would definitely recommend going to a Hey Rosetta! show, it may change your life! :P

Signing off,

prof barnum

1 comment: